October is Patient-Centered Care Awareness Month. According to the World Health Organization, patient-centered care is ensuring that health services are tailored to people’s needs and provided in partnership with them. Patient-centered care empowers patients to take control of their own health.
8 Dimensions of Patient-centered Care according to research by the Picker Institute:
- Respect for patient’s values, preferences, and expressed needs
- Information and education
- Access to care
- Emotional support to relieve fear and anxiety
- Involvement of family and friends
- Continuity and secure transition between healthcare settings
- Physical comfort
- Coordination of care
Click here to learn more.